Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Everybody Farts in Yoga

I have been a Yoga Instructor for over 2 years now and I have been asked a lot of questions:

"How do I gain more flexibility in my hamstrings?"
"How can I hold a handstand?"
"Am I doing this right?"

But the question that surprised me the most was:

"What exercises can I do to keep from farting in class?"

I was surprised because it was something I have never thought of before. To be honest, I pass gas all the time in yoga class. Granted they are just little poofs here and there, especially during twisting or core work but I just never notice them or the flatulence of my peers because I am so absorbed in the poses I am flowing through. But I will tell you what I told my student; farts aren't meant to be kept in, they need to be released, so it is okay to pass gas in class. My student was more worried and embarrassed about the sound or the smell and wanted to know what could be done to prevent this from occurring. Unfortunately, we cannot control exactly how our farts will come out: loud and proud, silent but deadly, or what I call a 'tooty fruity' - silent or little toots that are scentless. But there are somethings that can be done to help these gassy situations:



1.) Do not hold in your farts!

This is just an opinion of mine. I believe if you need to let one rip, just let it happen. Holding in farts, from my own experience has left me feeling bloated and they end up coming out anyways. I find it better to just let them come out on their own naturally. If I force or push it out, I usually make some sort of noise (which, when I was experimenting, scared my dog! Hilarious!). So for me, it was best to just relax and allow nature to take its course.

2.) Limit carbonated beverages.

I love seltzer water! But the carbonation in this beverage makes me very gassy. Most of it is expelled through burping. I usually belch immediately after drinking, but sometimes the carbonation makes it all the way to my intestines which then results in farts. To help keep me from tooting in yoga class I will stop drinking sodas or other carbonated drinks usually 3 hours before I take class.

3.) Limit gas-causing food.

For me, this includes broccoli. I love the stuff! Especially in ranch or some hummus - yum! But hoo-boy do I get gassy after eating it! In fact, a lot of fruits and vegetables can cause gas, along with grains and dairy. Some foods you can avoid are:
-Beans
-Broccoli
-Prunes
-Pears
-Apples
-Milk
-Bran Cereals
-Whole Wheat Bread
You can see the full list here.
I also noticed that if I ate garlicky or spicy foods, my toots would be smellier. If smell is a concern for you then maybe take note of various seasonings you consume.

4.) Do some poses before class.

Downward Facing Dog
(PS. that's me!!)
If you know there are certain poses that always make you pass gas, get to class early (or before you leave for class) and gently move through those poses to get the gas out. I would recommend starting with Pavanamuktasana, which actually translates to: "Wind-Relieving Pose." You see? You were meant to fart in yoga class!! 

Some other poses you can try are:
Just remember to move slowly, and take full inhales and exhales in each pose.

5.) Don't take yourself so serious


My life instantly got better when I learned to laugh at myself. In fact, I remember the first time I farted in front of my husband when we were first dating. I almost died from embarrassment! But he started laughing, which made me laugh. If you happen to pass gas during yoga class my advice is to ignore it and move on. If it is a loud one that everyone heard - laugh it off! It happens! We have all done it! One time I coughed, sneezed and farted all at once and to this day my big brother and I still laugh about it! Ps. I have never been able to replicate that since - it was a phenomenon! :)


Honestly, no matter what you do, there will always be farting in yoga class. Just know that it is natural and it happens all the time. Usually no one notices when farts happen during class. Most of the other yogis are too involved in their own practice to take notice. Music volume or incense can cover it up as well. In the years that I have been teaching, I do not recall a single time having noticed when a student breaks wind. If you do become self conscious about it, you are always welcome to excuse yourself to the restroom. Yoga is a non-judgmental practice so you can come and go as needed. I hope this will give you peace of mind when it comes to 'yoga farts'. Everybody does it, it is natural! So be free!! 

Namaste! 


***Please note that these are my opinions on the subject. If you are experiencing any major pain or discomfort because of gas, please consult your doctor.***

In the NYC area? Check out my teaching schedule here!
http://yogijonesdance.wixsite.com/yogijonesdance/classes

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to share this with John. He's talked before about going with me to a Yoga class, but always asked if anybody there farts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I hope he finds it useful! Thanks for reading it! I really enjoyed writing it! :)

      Delete