Friday, December 23, 2016

12 Days of a Yogi Christmas

Happy Holidays!!

Lots of things have been happening since my swim lessons and my Hairspray performances.
  1. I am now FINALLY a Pre/Post-natal Certified Yoga Instructor! Hooray!! I have been trying to get my certification for years now, and my schedule finally allowed for it! I had a wonderful training and it was so informative and fulfilling. If anyone in the NYC area is interested be sure to check out Maha Mama.
  2. My little sister graduated from college with her BS in Chemistry! Go Rachel Go!!!
  3. My husband has all of his applications in for his graduate school prospects and will start auditioning in January to hopefully pursue his MFA in Acting! Go Baby Go!!!
  4. And I auditioned and was cast as Judy in The Rockaway Theatre Company's production of A Chorus Line! Go Me Go!!!
  5. Also, my husband got a new phone and we had to test out the camera features by having a photo shoot with my pug, Phoebe. She is one classy pug!
    Hopefully she gets a modeling contract soon!
So yes, I have been a little busy. And on top of that I have been teaching my regular yoga classes. Which brings me to my fun little post today!

Sometimes, I get in a rut when I am creating lesson plans for my yoga classes and I need some inspiration to make it more fun for me and for my students. During the summer Olympics this year, I had a lot of fun throwing in poses or exercises that related to what was going on:

"Beat your legs like the Synchronize Swim team! Now swim the arms!"
"Superman Locust Pose! Now swim like Michael Phelps!"

And for the Holiday season I took an idea that my friend Claire had: The 12 Days of Christmas! She said she wanted to post on our studio's social media The 12 Days of Christmas but in yoga poses, but she was a little stuck. Occasionally, I have some down time at my day job, so I brainstormed and came up with the following and boy did we have fun creating this video!!

The 12 Days of a Yogi Christmas

On the 1st day of Christmas my True Love gave to me...(continue counting days all the way up to 12)

A Partridge in a Pear Tree (Tree Pose)
You MUST add the bird hands, otherwise you are just a tree with no Partridge.

Two Turtle Doves (Tortoise Pose)
Look! I'm a Turtle!

Three French Hens (Crow Pose)
This looks more hen-like than a crow right??

Four Calling Birds (Bird of Paradise Pose)
I pretty much make this face every time I do this pose, because I am always surprised that I make it!

Five Golden Rings (Bow Pose)
Five Roast Beef Sandwiches!.....I mean Five Golden Rings!!!
(anyone remember that Arby's commercial? it starts at 4:06)

Six Geese A-Laying (Child's Pose)
Do I look like a Goose that is A-Laying?

Seven Swans A-Swimming (Half Pigeon Pose)
So majestic....so graceful!

Eight Maids A-Milking (Cow Pose)
Moo! I'm a cow

Nine Ladies Dancing (Dancer's Pose)
Just a side note, being a dancer, I rarely ever do this when dancing.
But I think it is the closest thing to a ballerina that yogis could compare it to.

Ten Lords A-Leaping (Handstand L-Kicks)
This is truly how I imagine lords a-leaping...also I imagine them British...

Eleven Pipers Piping (Revolved Tree/Hand to Foot Variation)
You must do the piper hands otherwise no one will understand what you are doing

Twelve Drummers Drumming (Goddess Pose - with Drumming arms...duh!)
Hard core drummer face is optional, but you will get extra credit if you make one!

And finally to sum it all up we filmed these poses to the last verse of the song, counting down The 12 Days of a Yogi Christmas. And here is the final result! Prepare to be blow away!


There you have it! The 12 Days of a Yogi Christmas! Just a little fun video that made my day a little more creative and fun! I hope you enjoy it and that you all have a wonderful Holiday Season!
Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Happy Kwanzaa! Happy Boxing Day! Happy New Year! 

Happy Holidays to All and to All a Goodnight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment